Mitchelton to Keperra Rail Duplication (M2K)
The Mitchelton Rail Duplication project has been an ideal project for Moggill Constructions because it has allowed us to demonstrate our high level of skills and abilities to meet and exceed our Client’s expectations for quality, critical path timelines and cost effectiveness over a broad spectrum of activities.
The project involved a wide variety of construction methodologies and complexities from bulk earthworks to precision installation of steel structures including significant DDA compliant facilities. A large portion of the work was completed in close proximity to the operational tracks under strict QR procedures. The project was completed under rail and commuter traffic without any delays to the domestic service.
The project included three major sections of work:
- Reconstruction of the Oxford Park Station and adjoining carparks including the installation of two lifts to provide DDA access from an existing subway;
- Construction of a new platform and station building at Grovely Station, an over track pedestrian walkway incorporating new lifts and construction of new carparks; and
- Construction of railway formation for a duplication track between Mitchelton and Keperra Stations.
The project involved many challenges, including numerous design changes, service conflicts and rail interfaces affecting construction. Construction of the stations was the most challenging part of the project with the requirement to ensure minimum impact on commuters. During construction all parties involved, including Queensland Rail, Design Consultants ARUP and Moggill Constructions, worked closely together to ensure that the contract was constructed in a safe and timely manner and to a very high standard.
The works included:
- Two station upgrades;
- Installation of pedestrian bridge, fabricated off-site and installed during a 3 hour night time isolation and possession;
- Installation of structural steel lift towers with stair access;
- Approximately 2.5km of formation works, including 3 level crossing upgrades;
- Major and minor drainage structures;
- Construction of new pedestrian maze and ramp access to stations;
- Pipelaying, concreting, excavation works on a live track;
- Installation of shade structures near overhead electrical lines;
Particular specific issues that affected the job construction:
- Working on a live, operating track;
- Working closely with QR protection officers to ensure a safe working environment for all staff, subcontractors and the public
- Working under traction/electrical lines;
- Commuter safety and management, ensuring no delays/disruptions to services due to construction;
- Co-ordination of work with other QR works operating simultaneously in the area.
BACK TO PROJECTS